Hot Cross Buns Recipe
What is easter without the delightful Hot Cross Bun! Share this treat during the easter season but be prepared to make a second batch. It’s an easter favorite that’s devoured in a flash.
- 1 egg white
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 oz dry yeast
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 2 large beaten eggs
- 1 tsp lemon essence
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup raisins/currants
- 1/2 cup of mixed fruit
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 cups Icing Sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp milk
Click here to shop for ingredients: www.shopmassystoresslu.com
- Sift flour and add sugar, cinnamon, yeast and mix well. Add margarine and mixed fruit and combine. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add egg and lemon essence to warm milk.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture, then add salt.
- Knead on a floured surface for 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rest for 1 hour.
5 Turn dough out and shape into 12 equal buns.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and let rest 1 hour.
- Bake at 325°F for 20 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, water and vanilla essence to a pot and bring to a boil. Stir until all the sugar has dissolved and reduced to half.
- Glaze buns while the buns are still hot and set aside.
For Royal Icing:
- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Gradually add icing sugar until a desired consistency is achieved. Milk can be added if the icing becomes too think.
- Make crosses on cooled buns and enjoy!
Convenience is at your fingertips at Massy Stores. Choose Curbside PickUp or Delivery when you shop in store or online at www.shopmassystoresslu.com.